sexmaszazsLooking for a DIY sugar scrub that smells amazing, leaves skin silky soft, and is incredibly easy to make? This Mint Mojito Sugar Scrub recipe is it!
sexmaszazsNot only do sugar scrubs exfoliate the skin and slough away dead skin cells, but they deeply moisturize skin as well with nourishing, antioxidant-rich oils.
Silky, smooth, healthy-looking skin.
First of all, a lot of sugars scrubs out there on store shelves are filled with unhealthy ingredients like:
- Parabens — a class of chemicals used to preserve skincare products and prevent mold growth that have been linked to hormones disruption and breast cancer.
- Chemical fragrance — a cocktail combo of any of thousands of chemicals that are allowed to be concealed as “trade secrets.” This means that we’re really not sure what chemicals are being used to scent products. That being said, the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health has stated that 1/3 of the substances used in the fragrance industry are toxic and harmful to human health. Chemical fragrance is also known to trigger allergies, dermatitis, and respiratory issues, and may cause hormone disruption.
- Mineral oil — made from highly refined and processed petroleum, it clogs pores and suffocates the skin without providing any vitamins or antioxidants
Making your own skincare and body care products is a wonderful way to know exactly what’s going in your products and so on your skin. And yes, what we apply to our skin DOES impact our health.
Secondly, ready-made body scrubs usually come with a hefty price tag! As a well-seasoned homemade body scrub maker, I have to giggle at this because I know just how cheap the simple ingredients required to make a FANTASTIC scrub are.
Wondering how to make sugar scrub exactly?
All you really need are 2 ingredients:
- A nourishing oil like avocado, apricot kernel, jojoba, or almond (you can even just use the EVOO from the pantry though it does carry more of a scent than these other oils!)
But you can really pep things up, add variety to your sugar scrubs, and transform your shower into a spa-like experience with just a few drops of essential oils.
So yes, just 3 simple, natural ingredients will give you an AMAZING homemade sugar scrub!
This Mint Mojito DIY Sugar Scrub recipe won’t just get your skin summer ready, but the scrumptious scent will have you instinctively humming “Cheeseburger in Paradise.”
In other words, mentally transport you to a tropical beach with an ice cold, fruity cocktail in your hand.
Because there’s just no doubt about it…
Mint + lime + sugar = one winning, refreshing, summery combo.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup carrier oil of choice (I prefer jojoba or apricot kernel)
- 10 drops lime peel essential oil
- 8 drops peppermint essential oil
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 tsp matcha green tea powder (for color and skin-supporting antioxidants)
You’ll also need a jar / container (I love these stout, wide-mouth mason jars for body scrubs)
- Add the sugar and matcha (if including) to clean, small mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and essential oils.
- Stir to combine.
- Voila! You have yourself an all-natural mojito body scrub to get you summer-ready.
- Last but not least, as always, pat yourself on the back while saying “I’m so clever.”
- I recommend using your scrub in the evening since both citrus and exfoliation can make skin vulnerable to sunburn.
- Be sure to keep water out of your scrub since this opens the door to bacteria and mold growth, which we of course do NOT want! If you notice any mold growth at any point, discard your scrub and make a new batch.
Looking for more natural skincare DIYs?
You’re in the right place!
Here are just a few favorites I think you’ll like too: